10. “Always wear clean underwear. You never know when you’ll be in an accident.” (I think about this almost every time I leave the house.)
9. “Eat everything your host sets before you.” (All well and good until that missions trip to Guatemala!)
8. “Brothers don’t hit each other.” (Unless, we hit each other every time she left the house!)
7. “Act like you belong.” (When you find yourself in a situation in which you feel completely out-of-place, under-dressed, under-qualified, and generally out-of-your-league.)
6. “Good boys don’t pass gas at the dinner table.” (I was often a bad boy…just sayin’.)
5. “Treat everybody with respect.” (Especially, the more vulnerable in our world.)
4. “Don’t forget that older people have a lot to teach us. Get to know them, don’t forget that they’ve lived full lives, and listen to their stories. You’ll learn a lot.” (My Mom worked at an Assisted Living Facility for over 20 years. She loved her residents and loved to have them share their stories with me. I once met a sweet shriveled up little lady who was one of the original Radio City Music Hall Rockettes.)
3. “Don’t chew with your mouth open.” (To which I would often reply, “But it’s SEE food!” Get it? “See food.” You’re just like my Mom!)
2. “The most important thing you can do in life is love and serve Jesus.” (Mom always told us that we really belong to God…she and Dad were only raising us for Him.)
1. “Remember who you are.” (Which served as both a burden and a blessing.)
I love you, Mom.
Happy Mother’s Day!
©2015 Arron Chambers