As of today, my wife and I have been married 23 years.
I’ve only been up a few minutes, but I’ve already been overwhelmed considering the many reasons I deeply love Rhonda. Words can’t express how much I love her. If I started to list the reasons why I love my wife, I’d exhaust my allotted WordPress memory and miss church today, which would be bad…since I’m the preacher!
As you know, it’s important to love your spouse, but did you also realize the importance of liking your spouse. I deeply like Rhonda, too.
As a marriage coach I too often encounter couples who just don’t like each other anymore, which I find so heartbreaking.
On this, our 23rd anniversary, let me share with you 23 reasons why it’s important to like your spouse.
When you like your spouse…
1. You WANT to spend time with him/her.
2. You give him/her the benefit of the doubt.
3. You will be more patient with him/her.
4. You will care about his/her feelings.
5. You will not be mean.
6. You will not say hurtful words.
7. You will not allow anyone to disparage him/her.
8. You will enjoy chatting with him/her.
9. You will assume the best and not the worst.
10. You will be intentional about blessing him/her.
11. You will be more concerned about his/her happiness than your own.
12. You will “turn off” all distractions, look at, and listen to him/her when he/she is talking.
13. You will brag on him/her in front of your friends, family, and children.
14. You will be considerate.
15. Intimacy will be more about his/her needs than your own (which…btw…ends up being a lot more “likable” experience for both of you, if you know what I mean. 😉 Hubba! Hubba!)
16. Your goal in an argument will be understanding, not victory.
17. You will care about and nurture his/her relationship with the Lord and you will pray for him/her regularly.
18. You will laugh at his/her jokes even if they’re not funny.
19. You will not call him/her derogatory names.
20. You will apologize.
21. You will say “thank you.”
22. You will show him/her respect and live a life worthy of respect.
23. You will write nice things about him/her on Twitter, on Facebook, and on your WordPress blog.
Happy Anniversary, Rhonda!
Words can’t express how much I like you.
©2013 Arron Chambers