Some Random Ways to Be a Better Dad Today
1. Throughout the Day, Pray: Pray to God, pray with/for your spouse, pray with/for your kids
2. Express your love for your wife to her and in front of the kids
3. Express your love to your kids.
4. Work because you “get to,” not because you “have to.”
5. Go home because you “get to,” not because you “have to.”
6. Don’t text any woman who is not your wife.
7. Text your wife and tell her that you’re thinking of her, that you love her, and what you love about her.
8. Text your daughter and sons the same message.
9. Change into your “play” clothes as soon as you get home with the goal of intentionally entering your kids’ world.
10. Have a family dinner tonight that begins with prayer, contains discussion about your kids’ lives, and ends with you (yes, you Dad) doing the dishes.
11. Talk to your wife and kids with the tone you would use if they were valued clients.
12. Fall deeper in love with Jesus.
13. Fall deeper in love with your kids’ mom.
14. Read to your kids.
15. Kiss each kid on the head.
16. Turn off the TV and play a board game.
17. No phone calls or texting during dinner.
18. Turn off your smart phone and put it away after dinner.
19. Don’t look at porn on the internet after your kids go to bed.
20. Send your kids off to sleep with prayer and an “I love you.”
This list is not exhaustive, but it’s a good start. I’d love to hear what you’d add to the list. Leave your additions in the comments below.