In preparing for my message for this Sunday, I did a lot of research on what it means to fear the Lord.
We sometimes make God in our image.
We make God a nice old man with a long beard and a sweet smile who sits in a large chair and smiles constantly.
We make God “the man upstairs” who’s busy tinkering around his dusty room with things that don’t matter. The “man upstairs” seems so old and out of touch with our reality that we think he’s pretty irrelevant to what we’re doing down here.
We make God “the Big guy” who is like a loving and overly indulgent absentee father who is so desperate for our love that he’ll give us whatever we want. So, like spoiled kids, we go to him with a long list of wants because we know that he exists to please us, right?
We make God our “higher power,” like He’s a heavenly power plant that we plug into when we need more power for our lives.
We make God “mother nature” who is a psychotic artist who makes beautiful things and then mercilessly and heartlessly destroys them– without warning–just because she can.
We make God our best friend who loves us too much to be mean to us.
Yes, God is love (I John 4:16), but He’s also a “consuming fire” (Deut. 4:24).
I love God, but I also fear him…which is what His presence commands.
In my message I’ll unpack this teaching and make practical application of this truth for our lives today.
Let me just share a list I came across in my research of some of the blessings that come from fearing God.
- The Lord confides in those who fear him (Ps. 25:14);
- God’s great goodness is stored up for those who fear Him (Ps. 31:19);
- His eyes are on those who fear him (Ps. 33:18);
- The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and He delivers them (Ps. 34:7);
- His saints are to fear Him – those who fear Him lack nothing (Ps. 34:9);
- Salvation is near those who fear God (Ps. 85:9);
- God has love for those who fear him as high as the heavens are above the earth (Ps. 103:11);
- His love is with those who fear him (Ps. 103:17);
- The Lord has compassion on those who fear him (Ps. 103:13);
- God provides food for those who fear him (Ps. 111:5);
- He will bless those who fear him (Ps. 115:13);
- God fulfills the desires of those who fear him; He hears their cry and saves them (Ps. 145:19);
- He delights in those who fear him (Ps. 147:11);
- The fear of the LORD prolongs days (Prov. 10: 27)
- In the fear of the LORD there is strong confidence, And His children will have a place of refuge. (Prov. 14: 26)
- The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, To turn one away from the snares of death. (Prov. 14: 27)
- And by the fear of the LORD one departs from evil. (Prov. 16: 6)
- The fear of the LORD leads to life, And he who has it will abide in satisfaction; He will not be visited with evil. (Prov. 19: 23)
- By humility and the fear of the LORD Are riches and honor and life. (Proverbs 22: 4)
- His mercy extends to those who fear Him (Lk. 1:50).
- The fear of God adds length to life (Pr. 10:27), is a fountain of life (Pr. 14:27), leads to life (Pr. 19:23), and brings wealth, honor and life when coupled with humility (Pr. 22:4)