In my devotions today, I read some of the past entries in my journal.
I found an entry from last November. I was in Guatemala and had just finished worshipping with the Christians there on Sunday morning. In my room, after church, I listed some observations about the worship service.
1. Everyone participated enthusiastically
2. No frills–no lights, no Powerpoint, no cushions, no air-conditioning, no bulletins . . . no problem!
3. No instruments
4. No children’s ministry–they were all in the service . . . and behaved very well
5. There was a clock right behind the preacher’s head . . . but no one seemed to be watching the clock or care how long the service went.
6. We sang about 20 songs and they seemed to want to sing more!
7. I only understood a portion of the service, but my soul was filled nonetheless.
8. No one took attendance.