This week, I received a package from Coach Don Meyer of Northern State University. Coach Meyer is the winningest coach in men’s collegiate basketball–with more wins than Bobby Knight. Coach Meyer is also a devoted Christian.
I’ve been able to connect with him and meet him because his in-laws are faithful members of Journey.
I have to admit, I was a little “star-struck” when he showed up at Journey last month. I have a ton of respect for Coach Meyer.
I was so excited to open the package he sent me and find a ton of fliers, note cards, and pamphlets full of wisdom and motivational material that Coach Meyer has given his team over the years.
I’m going to be sharing some of my favorite ones with you over the coming weeks, because this information is helpful beyond the basketball court.
Coaches and Players With Great Team Attitudes . . .
- Listen to each other.
- Are courteous to each other.
- Show concern for each other.
- Help each other out–share the load.
- Say what they feel, but watch how they say it.
- Don’t put each other down.
- Celebrate success.
- Don’t talk behind each others’ backs.
- Praise each other.
- Treat everyone’s opinions as important.
- Treat mistakes as learning experiences.