Here are some random thoughts on things we can do to protect our marriages:
1. We must build our marriages on God’s Word.
· Genesis 2:18-24
· I Corinthians 13: 4-13
· Ephesians 5: 22-33
· Colossians 3:18-4:1
2. We must work to fall in love after the wedding.
· There will be times when you don’t feel in love with your spouse.
· You must make an effort to fan the flame, or risk losing the fire.
3. Romance, Romance, and more Romance
· Do something at least monthly for your spouse.
· It worked while you were dating and it is crucial to keep love alive.
4. We must view love as a privilege and not an obligation (Have to vs. Get to).
· It’s all in your attitude.
· Do you “have to” spend time with your spouse, or do you “get to”?
5. Marriage is not 50/50. It’s 100/100. If both spouses give 100%, they will survive on the excess during the hard times.
· You must be willing to give yourself to your marriage.
· There is no place for selfishness in marriage.
6. It is crucial that love is expressed.
· There is no place for “assumed love” in marriage.
· When you feel love. . . say it. . .and then say it again.
7. Learn the art of covenant keeping
· Marriage is a vow made before God.
· True joy is found in keeping the marriage covenant.