This morning I attended a Pastor Appreciation Breakfast in Denver. Alistair Begg was the speaker.
He did an excellent job.
Since 1983, Alistair has been the senior pastor at Parkside Church near Cleveland, Ohio.
He spoke about the importance and power of preaching. He believes that too many young preachers are depending more on their abilities and clever ideas than on the power of the Gospel to change lives. In regards to these young preachers he said, “My fear is not that they will fail, but that they will succeed at the wrong things.”
As he continued he suggested the six things that he sees as the keys to powerful preaching.
1. Spiritual wisdom in understanding the mystery of the Gospel.
2. Experiencing the power of the truth in our own souls.
3. Skill in dividing the word of God correctly.
4. Spiritual discernment of the condition of our congregation.
5. Zeal for the glory of God and compassion for the souls of man.
6. A sense of divine authority.