I’m thoroughly enjoying the Olympics.
That being said . . . as I cheer for the Olympians I’m also praying for the Christians in China who are being persecuted. China is propagating an image to the world that is quite different from reality.
Here are a few stories to remind you of the reality behind the “smoke and mirrors” we’re witnessing from Beijing each day on our televisions.
- BEIJING — A group of American Christians who had more than 300 Bibles confiscated by Chinese officials when they arrived in China is refusing to leave the airport until they get the books back, their leader said Monday. Full Story: China Confiscates Bibles From American Christians – 2008 Summer Olympics
- Pastor Zhang “Bike” Mingxuan, known for traveling across China on a bicycle to evangelize, was arrested by Chinese police just two days before the Olympics began. Pastor Bike was the inspiration for the recent partnership between The Voice of the Martyrs and China Aid Association to create the Olympic Prayer Band. Full Story: The Voice of the Martyrs
- Under a “one-child policy,” introduced in 1979 to help slow down the galloping population growth rate, parents are routinely sterilized and face large fines if they have more than one child. The government claims it has successfully prevented 250 million births since it was introduced. Full Story: China Uses Abortion as Female Genocide
- The BBC has found the first evidence that China is currently helping Sudan’s government militarily in Darfur. Full Story: China ‘is fuelling war in Darfur’
- “They hung me up across an iron gate, then they yanked open the gate and my whole body lifted until my chest nearly split in two. I hung like that for four hours.”
That is how Peter Xu Yongze, the founder of one of the largest religious movements in China, described his treatment during one of five jail sentences on account of his belief in Christianity. Full Story: China’s Christians suffer for their faith